It is official – I have now joined the masses of Twits out there in Social Media Land. As near as I can figure, I have tweeted well over 100 individual and unique entries. Is that twittered unique Tweets? I’ll get back to you on that.
Initially, I was resistant to signing up for an account. I really did not want to be one of the flock. However, it was mandatory for my Journalism – 121 Multimedia Reporting class so I did it. Besides, my instructor, Alicia Edquist, made it look so fun… in a strange sort of communication-based way.
After three months of having a Twitter account, I can honestly say that I see where it can be a tattle tail’s best electronic weapon. If I had this kind of technology when I was a kid, I would have snapped pictures everything my little brother did and tweeted my mom. He would have been so busted!
Things I learned from being a Tweeter, which sounds like an old audio joke, but I digress. My observations from the Twitter wire:
- The first TWEET is the hardest
- There’s a lot of TWEET out there
- Not all tweets are the same
- Some people should never TWEET selfies… trust me, I know
- Double spell check before hitting TWEET
- It’s easy to go one TWEET over the line
- You are what you TWEET…now and forever
- A well-crafted TWEET will get retweeted
- A well-crafted TWEET will get retweeted – and favored
- Hashtags are your friends
- Only @ the ones you love
- You can TWEET till you’re blue in the beak and still not get a lot of followers
- Avoid Twitter Rehab, TWEET responsibly, fellow twitterers… twits… whatever.
The most important thing to remember, if you are gonna TWEET, get one of those cute little battery chargers, ’cause live TWEET sucks up the juice. See you on the wire!
P.S. Jimmy Fallon – your HASHTAG Wednesday’s ain’t got nothin’ on my journalism class. Just sayin’.
Wait, he’s got a #. I can TWEET that!